Lubricant application story: Sliding runners
Customer’s area of concern
- Customer’s description of component: Kiln flexible sealing
- Previous solution/product previously used: Lithium-based grease with EP additives
- Market segment: Cement
- Component/application: Sliding runners
- Major market: Maintenance, repair & overhaul (MRO)
- Product: MOLYKOTE® BR-2 Plus Multi-Purpose Grease
Operational parameters (LETS)
- Load: High, with shock loading
- Environment: Outdoors; dusty
- Temperature: -40 to +130ºC
- Speed: Up to 1.5 m/s
- Process description: Centralized lubrication system (lubrication onto the sliding surface)
Customer’s critical requirements
- Problem category: Wear/failure
- Problem details: The grease was quickly oxidizing from constantly being heated to +130ºC and being exposed to coke dust. There was wear on the contacting plate. As a result, the kiln seal was failing, resulting in coke being emitted into the atmosphere.
- Root-cause analysis: The previously used grease (with EP additives) didn’t withstand the higher temperatures or abrasive dust particles.
MOLYKOTE® Smart Lubrication™ solution selected
Our product provided good adhesion, wear and corrosion protection, and long-term stability, and it contains solid lubricants. It provides resistance to degradation from constant heating and is suitable for long-term lubrication. Solid lubricants form a thin film on contacting surfaces, reducing their wear.
Result: Our solution
When using grease with solid lubricants, the seal replacement service life was extended from six to 24 months, reducing maintenance, downtime and equipment costs.